Thursday, November 5, 2009

I hate Fresno...

... but Clovis is alright. And that will be the topic of todays NOT A LOT IN CLOVIS

**Opening title sequence to some song by Orange Range for some reason**

Ahem.

Anyway. It's that time again. Yep, you guessed it. 0130 in the morning! I didn't plan this. Really, I didn't. It's just that 1AM has just become the new writing time, replacing the vastly different 2AM it used to be. Honestly, I really need to work on the stories. School has pretty much destroyed that hobby (among others).

So, the topic today is the distinction between Fresno and Clovis. The two are very close. In fact, one could easily waltz into one or the other and not know the difference. In fact, I don't even know where the borders are. The towns are that tightly knit. But Fresno and Clovis are quite different. Some say it's the economy. Supposedly, rich people live in Clovis. However, this is a fallacy. I know of many very wealthy people who live in Fresno. True, Clovis does have it's fair share, but just take a drive to the North West areas in Fresno and you will behold some beautiful neighborhoods, with houses so large one could seemingly fit the entire population of Pinedale within.

I guess the difference in the towns is the atmosphere. Clovis is more toward the less developed areas. Indeed, Clovis is where most of the new development is happening. It has room to grow, whereas Fresno has mostly filled up it's alloted space. Now it's just becoming increasingly cluttered. Clovis continues to expand toward the hills, displacing a lot of farm country as it goes. This is rather unfortunate, because the countryside of Clovis is dwindling. Giving way to more and more houses as more and more people from the larger areas flood in. With the promise of cheaper housing, the influx of people over the last ten years has changed the landscape of this town forever, and any promise of cheap anything has been pushed out as they forced themselves in. In time, Fresno county will be another LA.

But for the time being, Clovis still clings to that 'small town' feeling, even if it's really not true anymore. Driving only 5 minutes and you could be in the countryside, where there is nothing but orange orchards everywhere. There are a lot of wetlands out there too, which is what I'm told the valley once was. Flat areas with tall grass that gets flooded anytime it rains. And just a little further are the hills, with small winding roads and beautiful scenery. Why anyone would want to destroy that for cheap housing is beyond me, but I think the human race needs to CALM THE EFF DOWN with the breeding. Earth is an enclosed, and finite space. We are trying our damnedest to fill every corner with redundant, standardized humans. How boring.

But that's neither here nor there. Not here at the very least. Recovering from the tangent...

Clovis is nice. Especially at night. Unfortunately, I can't take pictures at night because I don't have the means. Anything I do with my budget cameras will come out pretty, well, black. I have experimented with doing long exposures in the past, and have some up with some pretty neat (if haphazard) pics. I'll track one or two down and post them at some point. But at night it's totally quiet, and utterly deserted around here. Well, that's not entirely true. You get one or two cars every now and again, and the occasional loud person, but for the most part it's quiet. That's probably why I am usually up when no one else is, and asleep when everyone else is up. I like quiet. I like peaceful. I like darkness. I adore the moon more than anything else.

At least here in Clovis we get some measure of that. In Fresno, you can gaze at the moon, but most likely if you look at it too long someone will try and take your wallet.

That's it for now. No pics again since I haven't had time to get out and take some during daylight hours. Earlier nights are making that difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment